Full Spectrum members will have a table with information about transgender people and the pervasiveness of hate crimes against transgender people on 11/19 from 11:00 am-3:00 pm on Wake Tech’s North Campus in the BE 2nd floor atrium. Please stop by to learn about and support your transgender classmates. Students on all campuses are also invited to wear a white ribbon and/or wear the name of a person killed in an anti-transgender hate crime.
If you’re interested in getting involved with Full Spectrum, visit our table at the Student Activities Facts & Snacks event!
- Main Campus: Wednesday 9/17, 11 am – 1 pm (PLM Courtyard)
- North Campus: Friday 9/19, 11 am – 1 pm (BE Picnic Area)
We have many exciting events planned for the 2014-2015 year! We have the following events scheduled for fall semester (rooms to be announced) on Wednesdays at 3:00 pm:
- October 15 (Main): Stonewall documentary and discussion
- November 19 (North): Transgender Day of Remembrance
- December 10 (Main): Pre-finals game day and discussion
Hope to see you there!
Full Spectrum is welcoming the new school year with a first of the year meet and greet. There will be food and games, as well as a short introduction to Full Spectrum and what to expect for the following semester. This will be a joint campus party on Main Campus.
Carpooling can be arranged from North Campus, just email one of the Advisers or coordinators for information.
For the date and time information click on the link below!
The End of the Year party is happening at The LGBT Center in downtown Raleigh, FRIDAY, MAY 10th from 3:30pm to 7pm.
Please email Amanda or Travis if you are bringing something! Let us know by Wednesday May 8th what you are contributing!
At the meetings, a discussion and planning committee has started for an Alternate Prom for next year. If you are interested in being a part of Prom Committee, you MUST email or notify us by FRIDAY, MAY 10TH. The committee is expected to meet and plan over the summer and will be monitored by an Officer.
If you are interested in an Officer position for next year, you MUST email or notify us by FRIDAY, MAY 10th.
Amanda will be emailing out the revised constitution and a link to vote on the changes soon. The constitution vote will also be due by Friday, May 10th. If you do not receive the email, contact Amanda for the constitution and survey link.
Things that are expected of an Officer:
•To meet over the summer with previous officers to plan for next year.
•To be able to create and send emails
•To communicate with Advisors and all other Officers promptly, efficiently, and respectfully.
•To be able to lead discussions and/or events and be there for majority of meetings and/or events.
•To be dedicated and make time for Officer meetings/conference calls outside of Full Spectrum’s meeting times.
•To connect and communicate with the other campuses as much as possible and/or as needed.
•To meet the code and mission of Full Spectrum.
Also, a topic was brought up after the question “What are some ways we can help the LGBTQ Community outside of WTCC?” A homeless safe space database was an idea for reaching out and being there for the community. If you would like to work on creating a database of safe spaces for homeless LGBTQ youth, come join the planning committee. There isn’t a deadline for this committee, however at a later date there will be.
Please contact Travis at email@example.com or Amanda at firstname.lastname@example.org for joining any committees, running for officers, or general questions/comments/concerns.
Thank you all for your time!
Here are the minutes from Main Campus’ Meeting on April 11th. The bullet points are what was talked about during the meeting.
- We had 13 members in attendance, 3 being advisors.
- Advisors are going to meet with each other and discuss the proposed amendments to the constitution then contact officers. Officers will keep everyone up to date on what is going on with the possible changes
- Amanda passed around a few “thank you” cards for the speakers of the event (Dr. Compton and Mr. Haigler).
- Next on the Agenda was Elections for next semester. An email will be sent out in the coming week explaining the officer duties and how to run and how elections will take place.
- Full Spectrum (along with the advisors and speakers) received a lot of positive feedback from the other faculty on campus and was really impressed with what went on during the event. The personal stories of both Dr. Compton and Mr. Haigler were a compelling part of the speech. Things to improve on is to be more prepared, but overall it was a great success!
- Day Of Silence is April 19th and we as a club would like to participate with day of silence, more information coming soon. We will have alternative activity for people can not remain silent due to certain reasons (speeches, presentations), The club suggested wearing ribbons. We will have print cards to hand out if you want to participate in DOS, these cards tell people why you are being silent.
- End of the Year Party: We have not set a date but the group discussed and thought May 10th or 11th would be a good day to have it. We also agreed that having the party at the LGBT Center of Raleigh is a great idea.
- OUT RALEIGH is May 4th if anyone is interested in going or volunteering visit www.lgbtcenterofraleigh.com<http://www.lgbtcenterofraleigh.com> under the “get involved” tab.
Things to think about for Next Semester:
- More Volunteer activities that give back to the community. WTCC has a food drive that is in desperate need of food and donations. The meeting also discussed branching out to the community homeless shelters and other non profit areas around Raleigh.
- Transgendered remembrance Day was a great success this year and we want to make it an recurring event at Full Spectrum.
If you couldn’t make the meeting and having any questions or comments about any of the topics listed above please email me: Trlewis1@my.waketech.edu.
Travis L., Main Campus Coordinator
Download a copy of the Affirming Faith Groups flyer distributed at the “Science, Religion, and Homosexuality” event and check out www.LGBTCenterofraleigh.com for more information: Affirming Faith Groups
Affirming Faith Groups
- St. John’s Metropolitan Community Church: www.StJohnsMCC.org
- Imani MCC, Durham: www.ImaniMCC.org
- Calvary United Methodist Church, Durham: www.calvarync.org
- Amity United Methodist Church, Chapel Hill: amityumc.org
- Pullen Memorial Baptist Church, Raleigh: www.pullen.org
- St. Philip’s Episcopal Church, Durham: www.stphilipsdurham.org
- Umstead Park UCC, Raleigh: www.upucc.org
- Chapel Hill Christian Church: www.chapelhillchristianchurch.org
- St. Mark’s Episcopal Parish, Raleigh: www.stmarks-ral.org
- St. Bartholomew’s Episcopal Church, Pittsboro: www.saint-barts.org
- Binkley Baptist Church, Chapel Hill: www.binkleychurch.org
- United Church of Chapel Hill: www.unitedchurch.org
- Episcopal Church of the Advocate, Chapel Hill: theadvocatechurch.org
- St. Francis of Assisi, Raleigh: www.stfrancisglbt.org
- Holy Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church, Raleigh: www.htelc.org
- Eno River Unitarian Universalist Fellowship, Durham: email@example.com
- Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of Raleigh: www.uufr.org
- Community United Church of Christ: www.communityucc.org
- Unity Church of the Triangle: www.unitytriangle.org
- Judea Reform Synagogue, Durham: www.judeareform.org
- Temple Beth Shalom, Cary: www.carytemple.org
- Temple Beth Or, Raleigh: www.templebethor-raleigh.org
- Rainbow Community Cares: www.rccares.org
- Real Life Ministries, Raleigh: www.getrealnc.org
- Buddhist Association for Peace, Culture and Education, Raleigh: www.sgi-usa.org
- Episcopal Church of the Advocate, Chapel Hill: www.theadvocatechurch.org
What: “The Intersection of Science, Religion, and Homosexuality”
Where: Northern Wake Campus BE 204 (auditorium)
When: Wednesday, April 3rd (4/3/13) from 5:00 to 7:00 pm
Would you like to help out with this event? We need volunteers pronto! We need volunteers next week to hand out flyers during school hours to advertise the event. We also need volunteers to manage the food table during, before, and after the panel. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com for further details on the event and for further details on volunteering.
We will try and meet each Friday at 2pm to do creative things and get ready for the Sidewalk expression. We would love to see you there and bring a friend. We will try and have snack provided for the day.
When: Friday 8th, @ 2pm to 5pm (and every Friday leading up to the 25th)
Interested in Getting Involved in Full Spectrum?