Sigma Delta Mu is a national honor society for students of Spanish in the first two years of college. Founded in 1979 with the approval and backing of Sigma Delta Pi, the society offers the advantage of an enriched program in Spanish and provides a way to reward language learners in the initial stages of their study. Its goals are to promote excellence in the study of Spanish and the literature and culture of Spanish-speaking people and to foster interest and achievement in Spanish.
Our society has a four-fold purpose:
- To honor men and women who strive for and attain excellence in the study of Spanish and in the knowledge of the literature and culture of Spanish-speaking peoples.
- To honor those who work to make known to English-speaking peoples, the Hispanic contributions to world cultures.
- To encourage a greater interest in and a deeper understanding among college students of Hispanic cultures.
- To foster friendly relations and mutual respect between Spanish-speaking and English-speaking peoples.
Events are open to all Wake Tech students. In the spring, students who have met these requirements may be eligible for induction into Sigma Delta Mu:
1. Overall G.P.A. of 3.0 or better
2. Earned a B or better in at least 1 semester of Spanish while at Wake Tech (or equivalent placement scores)
3. Participated in a minimum of 8 activities throughout the school year
For more information on weekly events, please email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org