ASB 2k17

Today was a pretty chill day. We arrived today in newark liberty airport. The flight was pretty rough because my ears kept popping violently but it’s all part of the experience. We dropped our stuff at the Boys and Girls Club in Newark New Jersey. We then went to explore NYC and navigate the treacherous Metro system.

NYC is a beautiful city with many different sights and smells, especially smells. You haven’t seen a dirty bathroom untill you’ve seen a subway station bathroom. And why does it always smell like warm piss and weed. I guess that’s just their way of living. Everybody was kind of mean. Not necessarily towards us but just in general. People were honking as much as they breath. It sounded like a Symphony of cars.

I tried to get some directions in the metro from a random person and he just kept walking like it’s nobody’s business. We took an Uber from Penn Station to the Boys and Girls Club and our Uber driver wasn’t as stereotypical as I thought. I thought he was going to be yelling in his Bluetooth like they do in the movies. He wasn’t much of a talker but he played some dope Cuban music. Or was it Puerto Rican. I’m not entirely sure.

When we got to mid town though we filled up on some pizza. This was before the confusing Uber ride. That pizza wasn’t nearly as greasy as I expected it to be. It was still pretty good. Times Square was just as I saw on TV. The only thing that surprised me was that there were alot of police in full riot gear and they were all over. We stopped by the Hard Rock Cafe but it wasn’t my style in clothes so while all the girls were picking out what was cute, I was dancing to Taylor Swift’s blankspace. Some people appreciated my freedom of expression.

Even though we didn’t start our community service we did however get to see alot of the homeless population in New York. It was heartbreaking to see them actually out in the freezing weather. It’s really hard to observe that and not be able to do anything about it.