A Day at Payne Elementary

Today was our third day in Selma, AL and I woke up feeling excited about what the day would bring. We went to Payne Elementary School today and sat in and helped out in the classrooms with the students and teachers. I sat in on a 1st grade class and what struck me while sitting in today was that a good majority of the class had a hard time counting and adding numbers together. I felt very upset by this. The teacher told me that when the class first started, all the kids in the class could not count by 5’s and 10’s. We did a lot of Math problems in general and I helped this one particular boy who was having such a hard time with adding and subtracting. The teacher told me that he would have to stay back a grade because he just wasn’t understanding the material and wasn’t focusing. It was very sad to me to see him struggle and get frustrated because a lot of the other students knew the material more than he did. After I helped him, he thanked me and gave me a huge hug and it made me feel so good about helping him and just being able to be there for the students in the class. Something else I learned today at Payne was that in the particular class I was in, almost half of the students would have to stay back and repeat the 1st grade due to low test scores in Math and Reading. It was upsetting to see this because it really seems like a lot of the children try their hardest to do well.

I was able to sit with three students in the class and tutor them on certain words that they were having trouble with. It upsets me to know that two of the kids I had in my group had such low grades in the class that they would have to stay back a grade. We were at Payne Elementary School pretty much all day working with these kids and it was definitely a very interesting and eye opening experience to be a part of. The kids are just so full of energy and are just overall great kids and I can’t wait to work with them again on Wednesday and I just looking forward to the rest of the week in general.

So far, it’s been such an amazing experience and I’m so glad that I came on this trip and met all these wonderful people who are so passionate in what the do and I love the ASB group that I’m here with in Selma!