2014 Alternative Spring Break
March 14-20, 2015
In the spring we will be going to Washington D.C. where we will be partnering with Youth Service Opportunity Project(YSOP) to provide students with an opportunity to learn about hunger and homelessness and work in a hands-on environment in D.C.
- TRAVEL: Students will travel together to New York City in a 15-passenger van driven by Wake Tech officials. Transportation in the city will be provided by NYC Transit via metro card, paid for by the college.
- HOUSING: Students will stay in a hostel in downtown D.C. The Hostel International is just one mile from the National Mall and a 3 minute walk to the Metro.
- WORK ACTIVITIES: We will be partnering with Youth Service Opportunity Project (YSOP), which focuses on hunger and homelessness. Although specific sites are not yet known, we can expect work related to soup kitchen and homeless shelter services.
- SUBSTANCE-FREE POLICY: No student will be permitted to consume alcohol or drugs of any kind at any time during the ASP trip, regardless of age. This is a zero-tolerance policy: Violators will be sent home at their own expense.
- FEES AND PAYMENT: Basic costs of the trip will be covered by the Office of Volunteerism and Leadership (OVAL), including transportation to and from the city, metro cards, housing, and site fees. Students will be responsible for their own meals and for the costs of any social excursions or souvenirs.